Absolute Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: The Last Amazon |
![]() |
|
Collection published: 2026 Contents published: 2024-25 Acquired: April 2026 Read: July 2026 |
Artists: Hayden Sherman, Mattia De Iulis, Dustin Nguyen
Colorist: Jordie Bellaire
Letterer: Becca Carey
This is my first experience with DC's confusingly named "Absolute Universe" (can't wait until we get the Absolute Editions, so this book will be republished as Absolute Absolute Wonder Woman), which is a sort of modern reboot of key DC characters. In this version, Diana is the last of Amazons, who were massacred by the gods; she is sent to the underworld to be raised by the sorcerer Circe. The gods keep sending creatures to kill her, so she is raised in violence—but also in hope. This is particularly emphasized when Steve Trevor washes up in the underworld, and she must help him get home; eventually, she follows him to the mortal world in order to defend it.
The first story here, written by Kelly Thompson and illustrated by Hayden Sherman, alternates between Diana's youth in the underworld and the present day, where she's fighting monsters and re-meeting Steve Trevor. I had read some rapturous reviews of this series going into it, so I think I was set up to be somewhat disappointed. This is strong, solid superhero fare... but it's not the best the genre has to offer. I mean, I think it does what this kind of story should do, and it does it very well. The art and writing work together excellently; Sherman is totally simpatico with what Thompson is doing on writing. Both depict Diana as someone feminine and hopeful but still powerful and determined. There are some clever superheroics here; the threat isn't just defeated through Diana punching or slicing up a monster, but by her using magic and thinking about the powers the monster possesses. But was I wowed by it? No, not really. You've see similar stories—compare the last Wonder Woman comic to be a Hugo finalist, which was up to more interesting things.
![]() |
| from Absolute Wonder Woman #1 (art by Hayden Sherman) |
I also thought this was let down a bit by the second story, illustrated by Mattia De Iulis. De Iulis is not as good an artist as Sherman, with a generic, glossy superhero style, and in particular, was not capable of the subtle character work Thompson's tale required.
![]() |
| from Absolute Wonder Woman #7 (art by Mattia De Iulis) |
Still, it's good stuff, and I would read more of it. I can see how the solid setup here could evolve into greatness given time (there's an interesting supporting cast, for example); hopefully DC gives Thompson that time, and hopefully Sherman returns as artist for future arcs.



No comments:
Post a Comment