08 November 2016

Review: The Transformers: Regeneration One, volume I by Simon Furman, Andrew Wildman, and Stephen Baskerville

Comic PDF eBook, n.pag.
Published 2013 (contents: 2012)
Acquired August 2014
Read May 2016
The Transformers: Regeneration One, volume I

Writer: Simon Furman
Penciler: Andrew Wildman
Inker: Stephen Baskerville
Colorist: John-Paul Bove
Letterer: Chris Mowry

This is sort of an odd jump. The last volume of The Transformers Classics in the IDW Humble Bundle went up to issue #50 of the Marvel run; this begins with issue #80.5. It's been thirty issues since I left off, and in the interim, peace has been declared, Optimus Prime has grown old and depressed, and the Decepticons are plotting their return to power.

Now, I don't know what Simon Furman's run on the original Transformers comic was like, but this feels much more like a comic of the 2010s than one of the 1980s, with its bloated, decompressed storyline, and unrelenting grimness. Say what you will about Marvel's Transformers comics (and I have), but under Bob Budianksy, at least, they were always fun. This story here-- where we learn, among other things, that the population of Earth is dead, including most of the human cast of the 1980s comic-- doesn't really capture the spirit of the tales it's supposedly a follow-up to. I'm not opposed to darkness in Transformers; some of the IDW stuff I've read so far gets quite dark, but this is darkness without nuance or interest, the sort of adolescent grimness you get if you watch the first two seasons of Torchwood.

Let's take the nicest nice guy of all the Autobots and put him in PERPETUAL LIVING TORMENT.
from The Transformers: Regeneration One #83

I admit that I'm probably not the target audience for this (I've never read a Simon Furman Transformers comic before, though on the other hand, I do love Kup), but I didn't find much to enjoy here.

Next Week: That's the end of the G1 continuity (that I own), so we go back to the beginning, back to the era when Cybertron was under the control of an Autocracy!

No comments:

Post a Comment