08 March 2016

Return of the New Jedi Order, Episode XXIV: Ylesia by Walter Jon Williams

PDF eBook, 90 pages
Published 2002

Reread April 2015
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Ylesia
by Walter Jon Williams

Year Four of the Invasion (Month 3)
This is another New Jedi Order side story that I'd read before, but never in context: I don't know if this is true, but it reads as if it was cut right out of the middle of Destiny's Way, and it was released as an eBook alongside it. I don't think I read it until three years later, though, when it was printed in the back of Dark Nest I: The Joiner King. On its own, I seem to recall, it's a fun side adventure: the Galactic Alliance has to take the Hutt world of Ylesia from the Yuuzhan Vong and the Peace Brigade, only it's currently being run by the weaselly Thrackan Sal-Solo, cousin of Han. Thrackan is a dumb-but-fun villain, and it's enjoyable to see all his plans unravel. But while I remember enjoying Ylesia when I originally read it back in 2005, if you pause Destiny's Way in the middle to read it, it comes across as irrelevant padding: it's only a distraction to the main plot of the novel it was (presumably) snipped from. I would have been better off reading this on its own than in the middle of the bigger story.

Next Week: It's the beginning of the end of The New Jedi Order, as Luke Skywalker goes looking for a Remnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment