Trade paperback, 740 pagesAcquired August 2013
Read June 2014
Also there is a picture for every possible ending, and they are delightful; a veritable cornucopia of webcomic artists provide them, from Jeph Jacques to Kris Straub, from Kate Beaton to Randall Munroe. (North himself writes a webcomic, but there's no art from him because that webcomic is Dinosaur Comics.) They're even in full color! You can get a lot of joy just paging through this and looking at the pictures.
yED Graph Editor is a great piece of free software; it was better than I could have imagined.) This gave me a new appreciation for the book, and the close reading it necessitated allowed me to uncover even more awesome features. Click on the picture, if you dare. (Minor spoilers, I guess? If looking at a bunch of numbers is spoilers?) You will note the following:
- Squares = normal pages
- Ovals = endpoints
- Diamonds = normal pages within The Murder of Gonzago
- Gray = outside the game
- Blue = Hamlet
- Yellow = Ophelia
- Orange = dead King Hamlet
- Green = Claudius
- Purple = Horatio
- Parts of the book that I think of as "minigames" (tightly networked sets of small choices) are clustered into boxes.
- The path marked with skull logos (the path of the original play) is the thick line.
- Pg. 195 is where you go if you take the choice to actually kill Claudius. You will note that you get that choice a lot. But for some reason you never do it!