10 July 2019

Hugos 2019: Conversations on Writing by Ursula K. Le Guin

Hardcover, 138 pages
Published 2018

Acquired April 2019
Read May 2019
Conversations on Writing by Ursula K. Le Guin with David Naimon

This is the third year in a row with a collection of Ursula Le Guin nonfiction on the Hugo Award for Best Related Work ballot, her late-life strategy of collecting and organizing her work in action. It's a slim volume, and reads even faster than you'd think from its size; it's a set of transcripts of radio interviews she did, one on fiction, one on nonfiction, one on poetry. While I guess I'm glad it exists, and it contains a number of Le Guin's usual insights (it was nice to hear her on, for example animal poetry, or conflict in fiction, or the use of tense and voice) it all feels a bit pointless. Mostly Naimon asks Le Guin about things she'd said and done elsewhere (as one does, I suppose), and you kind of get the feeling you'd be better off reading those other things that are being discussed to get the real insights. Like, the nonfiction interview is mostly about her 2016 collection Words Are My Matter, and I felt like I didn't learn anything I didn't learn better from reading the actual book. Valuable for the Le Guin completist (and I am one!), but hard to recommend to a more casual fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment