22 May 2020

Review: Discworld: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Mass market paperback, 422 pages
Published 2003 (originally 2002)

Borrowed from my wife
Read October 2019
Night Watch: A Novel of Discworld by Terry Pratchett

This is the last of the trilogy of City Watch novels that for me was the best of the whole sequence of eight; Night Watch is my favorite of them all except for Jingo. Like in Jingo, this book is an exploration of how the real injustice in society isn't street crime-- but also how the police aren't really equipped to deal with that. Vimes finds himself in the middle of a revolution, trying to figure out how he can stop it all from going horribly wrong. It's partially a prequel (and one I'm not entirely convinced lines up with how Vimes was introduced in Guards! Guards!, but whatever), but that just adds to the sense of crushing inevitability. He can't, of course. My favorite scenes were the ones where Vimes's common sense and common decency helps win out over the self-interested and the craven. This didn't quite read the heights of Jingo-- I found some of the time travel stuff very confusing-- but I enjoyed it a lot, and to be honest, I kind of wish it had been the last City Watch novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment