Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

20 May 2020

Hugos 2020: Monstress: The Chosen by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

Comic trade paperback, 167 pages
Published 2019 (contents: 2019)
Acquired April 2020

Read May 2020
Monstress, Volume Four: The Chosen

Writer: Marjorie Liu
Artist: Sana Takeda 
Lettering & Design: Rus Wooton

I keep claiming I'm done with this series, and keep coming back because it keeps ending up on the Hugo ballot. (In fact, it has won three years in a row!) I think, however, that this was my favorite volume since the first, though I still can't say that I love it or anything. This one had more focus on Kippa, the fox Arcanic and my favorite character. I can't say I think giving her a mythical destiny is my favorite thing (I much prefer her as an ordinary child caught up in horrible events), but I did like her steadfast belief in goodness, even in horrible events, and the sly cleverness she shows in this volume. This one also had a coherent story that I could follow from beginning to end. The political stuff, however, I don't care for, and the mythic stuff, I just can't follow. Plus I cannot be made to care about the main character's destiny or backstory.

The art is still very good, if not even better than it's ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment