Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
13 items read/watched / 57 total (22.81%)

27 October 2021

Review: A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine

Published: 2021
Acquired: March 2021
Read: May 2021

A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine

I was very taken by A Memory Called Empire, but this one never really took off for me, alas. Memory worked slowly but purposefully until it suddenly accelerated and left me reading quickly to find out what happened next. This one never seemed to pick up any speed, possibly because I found its multiple points-of-view considerably less interesting than Mahit's fish-out-of-water diplomat perspective from the last one; I never really warmed to "badass space admiral" and found "precocious heir" intermittently interesting. There was less worldbuilding and cultural stuff, and it seemed to me that there was a missed opportunity in that it would have been neat to see some Teixcalaanli on Station (since last book was all about a Stationer on Teixcalaan), but that idea was squandered pretty quickly. Mahit seemed a bit overwrought in ways I didn't find very believable, too. Thankfully, Memory will stand alone as an accomplishment. I would read more in this world if Martine pens it, but hopefully I enjoy it more than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment