25 October 2021

Review: Doctor Who: Breakfast at Tyranny's by Nick Abadzis, Giorgia Sposito, and Valeria Favoccia

Collection published: 2017
Contents originally published: 2017
Read: July 2021

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor: Facing Fate, Vol 1: Breakfast at Tyranny's

Writer: Nick Abadzis
Artists:
Giorgia Sposito & Valeria Favoccia
Colorist: Arianna Florean

Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt

The opening story of The Tenth Doctor: Year Three is better than anything this series has served us in a while, but it still doesn't grab me. At first, aliens place the Doctor and his companions (who now include "Noob," actually the Phaester Osiran / Egyptian god Anubis) in a simulation of Gabby's life in New York City, and they have to break out of it. Pretty trope-y and kind of dull. The next story, where the Doctor and Gabby (and Noob, I guess) have to rescue Cindy from ancient China, where she's been cloned dozens of times, is more interesting, but occasionally had odd leaps that disrupted my experience. Abadzis experiments with storytelling techniques, which is fun, but these feel like sci-fi characters, not people.

But people told me Year Three was worth it even if I didn't like Year Two at all, and so I am trying to be open minded. We shall see how it goes!

I read an issue of Titan's Doctor Who comic every day (except when I have hard-copy comics to read). Next up in sequence: The Ninth Doctor: Sin Eaters

No comments:

Post a Comment