Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

24 December 2021

The 2021 Hugo Awards: Thoughts on the Final Results

I could have watched this year's ceremony... except my wife and I were folding laundry, and for some reason she refused to watch an 120-minute award ceremony for a bunch of books she hadn't read! So we watched a James Bond movie instead (I guess she really does love me), and whenever she left the room to nurse our sick baby, I watched a little bit of the ceremony livestream. I liked what I saw, especially the commentary about the winners that was read as they walked up to the podium; I don't remember this from previous Hugo ceremonies, and it was a nice feature. Of the bits I saw, I did really like Martha Wells's speech for Best Series, and I also thought the Best Fan Writer winner (Elsa Sjunneson) had some good stuff to say. I am sorry to have missed Ursula Vernon's bits, by all accounts.

So what did I think of the results, and how did they compare to my own votes? Just some brief thoughts here:

Category What Won Where I Ranked It What I Ranked #1 Where It Placed
Best Novel Network Effect
4th Piranesi 3rd
I am disappointed but not at all surprised by this outcome. It is, after all, the much beloved Murderbot. I wrote in my prediction post, "Clarke's book is good, but I think not quite in the core sensibility of the Hugo voter. So I will guess either Kowal or Wells." So I was right on that... thought Kowal's Relentless Moon was down in fifth, so I wasn't that accurate a predictor! Jemisin came in second, which kind of surprised me, but maybe shouldn't have. I had hoped Robinson's Ministry for the Future would make the ballot so I would have an excuse to read it, but looking at the nomination stats, it was down in ninth, and quite a ways off. Thankfully, we were spared Scalzi (down in eleventh). Novik's A Deadly Education (a finalist for the Lodestar) was twelfth for nominations in this category as well. In theory, a book can be a Lodestar finalist and a Hugo finalist, but it hasn't yet happened. Overall, I think it was kind of a weak year for Best Novel.

Best Novella The Empress of Salt and Fortune
3rd Riot Baby
6th
I wrote I would happy see Empress win, even though I had it in third, so this was a satisfactory result... but my preferred novella was all the way down in sixth! It figures that the finalist that most feels like an actual sf novella would be the one not to the taste of Hugo voters. Looking at the nomination data, it looks like Tor.com novellas dominate the long list, taking not only the top six slots, but also seventh, tenth, twelfth, thirteenth, and fifteenth. None of the sixteen top finalists are from magazines (print or web) this year; they were all published as standalone books.

Best Novelette "Two Truths and a Lie"
4th "Helicopter Story"
5th
This was a strong category this year, so no complaints about the winner... except that the fate of "Helicopter Story" is a great example of instant runoff voting... unfortunately. It had more first-place votes than any other finalist, but as lower-ranked items were eliminated from the ballot, their votes went to pretty much anything other than "Helicopter Story" until "Two Truths" achieved a majority. This was repeated in every round of voting until the fifth, indicating the presence of both a strong pro-"Helicopter Story" bloc and a strong anti-"Helicopter Story" bloc. Alas. Looking at the nominations data, though, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, as it was sixth for nominations, and only made it onto the ballot by ~4 votes. Good thing I nominated it!

Best Short Story "Metal Like Blood in the Dark" 1st "Metal Like Blood in the Dark"
1st
Happy with this outcome, of course! Also I wrote, "I would say that the Hugo electorate 1) always loves T. Kingfisher (justifiably) and 2) always loves self-serving stories about how great it is to be a fan (less justifiably). So I would guess either 'Metal Like Blood' or 'Little Free Library.'" And indeed, "Little Free Library" came in second.

Best Related Work Beowulf: A New Translation
1st Beowulf: A New Translation
1st
Whoo, two in a row! This category had three things I ranked below No Award: FIYAHCON (a convention), Natalie Luhrs's vitriolic blog entry about last year's Hugo ceremony, and the "CoNZealand Fringe" (supplemental programming to last year's Worldcon). FIYAHCON placed in third, but 257 voters ranked it below No Award; Luhrs placed in fourth (even though she had almost as many first-round votes as Beowulf), with 358 voters ranking it below No Award; and CoNZealand Fringe placed in sixth, with 265 voters ranking it below No Award. By contrast, fifth-place finisher The Last Bronycon had 211 voters rank No Award higher. This will have to wait until I do my No Award analysis for this year, but at first glance, it's probably the best showing for "Noah Ward" across all the categories.

As I complained, there was only one book about science fiction finalist in the category, which is what I think the category ought to be for. Looking at the long list, there were some more of these, including Una McCormack's edited collection about Bujold (seventh, only ten nominations away from making the ballot), a book about Pratchett (eighth), and a book about disability in sf&f (twelfth). On the other hand, the long list also includes a facebook group and a spreadsheet. Let's just change this category back to "Best Nonfiction Book," please.

Best Graphic Story or Comic Octavia E. Butler's Parable of the Sower: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
4th Ghost-Spider: Dog Days Are Over
2nd
I never feel strongly about this category, so whatever. Ghost-Spider had the most first-round first-place votes, but fell to second on transfers: that reliable Seanan McGuire voting bloc always at it, but not quite making it here. Questionable Content was down in eleventh on the long list; I live in dread of it making the ballot someday.

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) The Old Guard
6th Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
5th
The hell!?

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) The Good Place: "Whenever You're Ready"
1st The Good Place: "Whenever You're Ready" 1st
Up to three categories where my top choice matched the voters'. I predicted Good Place would pick up its fourth (and, presumably, final) Hugo this year, and I was correct.

The long list this year has a pretty good showing from Star Trek; the Picard episode "Nepenthe" was just two nominations away from making the final ballot, and there were also Discovery episodes in ninth and tenth, and another Picard episode in fifteenth. But where's Lower Decks?

Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking
1st A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking 1st
And now, four of my first place picks actually won, which is a good success rate for me, not achieved since 2017. (In 2018, 2019, and 2020, only one of my picks won.) As I wrote, "Kingfisher/Vernon has been a finalist in this category before, but I think it's her year to win it. If she doesn't, it'll be Novik." And, indeed, Novik's book came in second.

Looking at the long list, thankfully we were spared Seanan McGuire's Victorian fairy tale pastiche, Over the Woodward Wall, languishing down in twelfth, thank goodness.

This was, of course, a pretty odd year for Hugo reading; with Worldcon postponed to December, I had six months instead of three... yet my reading was down to the wire more than I can remember ever happening before. I was just too leisurely early one, especially once the fall semester hit. Usually I don't read almost anything but Hugo finalists, but with the extra time, I also worked on my usual reading list. The other downside here is that I've only just finished... and in a couple months, it will be time to think about the 2022 Hugos!

This year was overall a weaker year, I think; not as many new, unexpected, interesting voices in Best Novel especially (everyone here was a repeat finalist), and the short fiction was its usual mixed bag. I think I need to be more selective with the Lodestar, and give up on books quicker that are not to my tastes. But as always I had fun, in what has turned out to be my fifth year of this!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment