Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

15 December 2021

Hugos 2021: Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

Originally published: 2020
Acquired: November 2021
Read: December 2021

Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

I didn't care much for Gideon the Ninth, so I wasn't expecting much here... and I didn't get much, either. This is one of those books where the words seemed to roll over me. Who were all these characters? What were they trying to do? I couldn't tell you. I know from reading other reviews that this is one of those books designed to be confusing... but I was so lost, I wasn't even confused about the things I was supposed to be confused about; I didn't even remember the first book well enough to know that this book was deliberately contradicting that one.

Then at the end, there's like fifty pages where characters explain the plot to each other, which was sheer tedium. I really hope no more installments of this series get nominated for Best Novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment