Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

21 September 2022

Discworld: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

The Illustrated Wee Free Men: A Story of Discworld by Terry Pratchett
illustrated by Stephen Player

After enjoying my trip through the City Watch, I figured my next Discworld subseries would be the Tiffany Aching ones, as my wife owns all of them (and they are much beloved by her).

Illustrated edition published: 2008
Novel originally published: 2003
Read: November 2021

But actually, we couldn't find her copy of The Wee Free Men anywhere! It seemed that she had likely loaned it out and never gotten it back. Which was a shame, because she owned the deluxe hardback illustrated edition. I had bought this for her as a Christmas present in 2010; new, it cost me $18. A decade on, it's out of print, and when I bought a replacement, it cost me $40 for a used copy with a torn dust jacket! But it was that or downgrade to a mass market edition.

Anyway, I expected to love this... and I didn't. I liked it a lot at first. Very funny, very real, as Tiffany Aching begins to recognize the strangeness going on around her. Very Pratchett, basically. But somewhere in the middle, as the actual plot began to emerge... I kind of lost interest. I wasn't really sure why I cared about what these people were trying to accomplish. It might not be the book's fault; I read it at a stressful time and in sort of fits and starts between Hugo finalists, so I don't know that it ever totally sunk in. But yeah, probably the least grabby Discworld I've read so far except for Snuff.

Still, when I have a chance, I'll dip back in and keep going. I have enjoyed enough Discworld novels to know to give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment