Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
14 read/watched / 47 total (29.79%)

01 September 2022

Reading Roundup Wrapup: August 2022

Pick of the month: VALIS and Later Novels by Philip K. Dick. I have read three Library of America Dick collections this year... and all three have been my "pick of the month." Two of these novels are genuinely great (VALIS and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer), one is fine (The Divine Invasion), and one is not very good, to be honest, but it has its moments (A Maze of Death). Really weird, enjoyable stuff about reality and God and the reality of God and people's search for religious truth, wherever they can find it. I'm very glad that after I finished The Man in the High Castle, I just kept going and read every single Philip K. Dick book I owned.

All books read:

  1. Terra Ignota, Book IV: Perhaps the Stars: A Narrative of Events begun in the year 2454 by Ada Palmer
  2. The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5, Imperial Phase Part 1 by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, et al.
  3. Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes: The Early Years by Paul Levitz, Kevin Sharpe, et al.
  4. James Bond 007: Licence To Kill: The Official Comic Book Adaptation by Mike Grell et al.
  5. The Hungry Tiger of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill
  6. The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6, Imperial Phase Part 2 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
  7. Oblivion: Collected Comic Strips from the Pages of Doctor Who Magazine by Scott Gray, Martin Geraghty, Lee Sullivan, John Ross, et al.
  8. The Gnome King of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill
  9. JSA Presents Green Lantern by Steven T. Seagle, Tony Bedard, Junior Thomas, John K. Snyder III, Dennis Calero, Staz Johnson, et al.
  10. VALIS and Later Novels: A Maze of Death / VALIS / The Divine Invasion / The Transmigration of Timothy Archer by Philip K. Dick 

Not as many as some other recent months, but partially that's down to how I count things; I read all four novels included in VALIS and Later Novels, but I only count that as one book by my system. If you counted novels in LOA collections, I'd have five more, between these and some L'Engle ones I've been reading! Overall, I've mostly been catching up on stuff that piled up during Hugo reading (#1, 3, 4, 7), reading comics at breakfast (#2, 6, 9), and reading the Oz novels with my son (#5, 8).

All books acquired:

  1. Transformers: Earthforce by Simon Furman, Andrew Wildman, Staz Johnson, et al.
  2. JSA Presents Green Lantern by Steven T. Seagle, Tony Bedard, Junior Thomas, John K. Snyder III, Dennis Calero, Staz Johnson, et al.
  3. The Giant Horse of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill 

Books remaining on "To be read" list: 686 (down 2)

Decreases two months in a row! Wow!

August is the end of my "reading year," so stay tuned for my annual year in review wrapup tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment