Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
20 items read/watched / 57 total (35.09%)

02 February 2024

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Thoughts on the Final Results

Normally I make this post pretty shortly after the results are announced. But one of the things I like to do in it is go over the nominating statistics for each category, commenting just not on what won, but also what was on the longlist.

If you follow the Hugo Awards, you'll know that this year the voting statistics came out pretty shortly after the award ceremony, as normal... but the release of the nominating statistics were dragged out on and on and on.

Well, they finally came out last week, and it was a shitshow. Charlie Stross has a fairly good summary at his blog, but the short short version is that a number of works were eliminated for "eligibility" issues... with absolutely no explanation of what those eligibility issues might actually be. It is pretty hard to infer any explanation other than political censorship, though as Ada Palmer points out at her blog, this was almost certainly preemptive self-censorship rather than any kind of official ruling from the Communist Party of China.

But anyway, at last I am here to tell you what I think of the results, and how they compared to my own votes.

Category What Won Where I Ranked It What I Ranked #1 Where It Placed
Best Novel Nettle and Bone
1st Nettle and Bone
1st
Well, thank God sanity prevailed. Legends & Lattes, to the detriment of literature everywhere, made it to second place, but it could have been worst. Famously, this is the category where R. F. Kuang's Babel clearly had enough nominations to make the ballot (it's third on the official report) and was ruled "not eligible" for no reason. A lot of people had been surprised it didn't make the ballot (it had won the Nebula after all) and it turned out there was very much a reason for this. Without this spurious action, The Daughter of Doctor Moreau (which placed fifth) would not have made the ballot. Interesting to note that sixth-place finalist Nona the Ninth actually got the third most nominations (ignoring Babel).

Best Novella Where the Drowned Girls Go
[UNRANKED]
What Moves the Dead
4th
What Moves the Dead in fourth!??! What the fungus?!!?!! A Wayward Children novella in first!??!??!! Is there something wrong with people?!!?!!??!!! I found this very dispiriting. Note that Drowned Girls actually came in seventh on nominations, only making it onto the ballot because Becky Chambers declined nomination for the second "Monk and Robot" novella. Well, I think anyway. Who knows what the hell is up with these fudged nominating statistics.

Best Novelette "The Space-Time Painter"
[UNRANKED] "If You Find Yourself Speaking to God, Address God with the Informal You"
2nd
I know the con was held in China, but it still seems pretty improbable that the winning story was the one with no official English translation! At least "Speaking to God" came in second and "Difference Between Love and Time" last. (The Chinese novella "Colour the World" by Congyun "Mu Ming" Gu received the second-most nominations but was ruled ineligible for no given reason. I have read this and thought it was very good, and it probably would have received my second-place vote if it had been listed.)

Best Short Story "Rabbit Test" 1st "Rabbit Test"
1st
Not only did this story justly win first, it's also one of the most decisive victories in Hugo history, getting a majority of first-round votes with no need for instant-runoff voting.

Best Graphic Story or Comic Cyberpunk 2077: Big City Dreams
5th
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow
4th
I wrote, "I am going to go out on a limb and claim this will be Tom King's year to finally win it... but he came in sixth last year, so what do I know?" Well, Tom King came in fourth, so I did not know much, and the story that won isn't one I could have predicted at all. At least it wasn't Dune: The Novel: The Film: The Graphic Novel?

Best Related Work Terry Pratchett: A Life in Footnotes
1st Terry Pratchett: A Life in Footnotes 1st
I (and everyone else) saw this one coming. I can't argue. The longlist, as usual, looks goofy but the actual final ballot was decent.

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form) Everything Everywhere All at Once
1st Everything Everywhere All at Once 1st
Four categories where the voters and I agreed? I think this is a record. Thanks to two ineligibility rulings and one declined nomination, only a couple more nominations would have put ninth-place Ms. Marvel season one on the ballot.

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form) The Expanse: "Babylon's Ashes"
5th Stranger Things: "Dear Billy" 3rd
The Expanse always wins, so not too surprising. I would have thought Stranger Things would come in second, but I guess Andor (which did) is more to the core sensibility of the Hugo voter. Last year, I wrote that I was sure a Strange New Worlds episode would make the ballot, but "A Quality of Mercy" was down in tenth, and "Spock Amok" (which I nominated) in twelfth. But surely "Those Old Scientists" will make it next year?

Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book Akata Woman
3rd
In the Serpent's Wake
4th
A weak ballot this year, so I find it hard to be fussed.

As I am often am, I enjoy the short fiction I get exposed to via the Hugos; doubt I would have come across, say, "Rabbit Test" or "Resurrection" (which I am teaching the morning this posts!) otherwise. But some of the long-form works made this year tough. Hopefully next year the Best Novel, Best Graphic Story, and Best Young Adult Book ballots are stronger.

Oh, and hopefully the concom doesn't preemptively censor the ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment