Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
11 items read/watched / 57 (19.30%)

15 January 2019

Review: Doctor Who: The Scruffy Piper by Justin Richards

I haven't caught up to the present in my recent catch-up listen-through of Bernice Summerfield stories (which I began back in July!), but I have caught up to the most recent one that I own. Read my review of Treausury, and soon I'll return my attention to catching up on Torchwood, Big Finish Originals, The Seventh Doctor: The New Adventures, UNIT, and more!

Hardcover, 36 pages
Published 2016 (originally 2015)

Acquired February 2017
Read June 2018
Doctor Who: The Scruffy Piper
by Justin Richards
illustrated by David Wardle

After I moderately enjoyed The Grief Collector, the Time Lord fairy tales are back to the same-old-same-old. You can guess how this story is going to go from page 1, and it does so without a single surprise. The second Doctor uses his recorder to lure away a group of Cybermats from a space station, and saves the day. Why bother riffing on "The Pied Piper of Hamlin" and use only the most basic part of its idea? Work with the creepiness of the concept, don't sanitize it!

Next Week: An extra helping of mediocrity in Twins in the Wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment