10 June 2020

Review: Best State Ever by Dave Barry

Trade paperback, 229 pages
Published 2017 (originally 2016)
Acquired December 2018
Read September 2019
Best. State. Ever.: A Florida Man Defends His Homeland
by Dave Barry

My brother-in-law bought this for me shortly after we moved to Florida; I read a lot of Dave Barry in my youth but probably none for the past two decades. The first two chapters are the best parts, where Barry mounts a defense of Florida and then provides a history of it. Lots of good jokes that I subjected my wife to.

The remaining chapters are a series of visits by Barry to weird places in Florida, where he chronicles his adventures. The jokes here aren't as dense as in the first chapter, but I was still entertained, especially at his visits to the Weeki Wachee mermaid show ("no other nation on Earth possesses the capability to put on a more powerful display of underwater mermaid patriotism") and the Villages (a retirement community where supposedly old people have lots of sex, but Barry can't find any, just old people belting Jimmy Buffet karaoke). He also visits the skunk ape museum, a fancy night club, a shooting range, and as many bars on Key West as he can. It probably took me less than a couple hours to read, and I enjoyed the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment