Pick of the month: Spirits Abroad by Zen Cho. This was a solid month with a number of standouts; in another month, A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking, for example, would have won quite handily. But I think this book will stick with me the longest, a collection of fantasy stories with Malaysian influences.
All books read:
1. Walkaway by Cory Doctorow
2. Nemesis of the Daleks: Collected Comic Strips from the pages of Doctor Who Magazine by Richard Alan, John Tomlinson, Lee Sullivan, John Ridgway, et al.
3. Star Trek: Discovery: Wonderlands by Una McCormack
4. Doctor Who: The Third Doctor, Vol 1: Heralds of Destruction by Paul Cornell and Christopher Jones
5. Spirits Abroad: Stories by Zen Cho
6. Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor, Vol 6: Sonic Boom by Robbie Morrison, Mariano Laclaustra, Rachael Stott, et al.
7. Between Earth and Sky, Book One: Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
8. Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor: Ghost Stories by George Mann, Ivan Rodriguez, Pasquale Qualano & Dennis Calero
9. Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey
10. A Handful of Earth, A Handful of Sky: The World of Octavia E. Butler by Lynell George
11. Death’s Head: Freelance Peacekeeping Agent by Simon Furman, Walter Simonson, Geoff Senior, Bryan Hitch, Lee Sullivan, John Higgins, Liam Sharp, et al.
12. The Expanse: Origins by James S.A. Corey, Hallie Lambert, Georgia Lee, and Huang Danlan
13. Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor: The Sapling, Vol 1: Growth by Rob Williams, Alex Paknadel, I. N. J. Culbard, Simon Fraser, Leandro Casco, and Wellington Diaz
14. The Annotated Wizard of Oz: Centennial Edition by L. Frank Baum, pictures by W. W. Denslow, edited by Michael Patrick Hearn
15. Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor: Facing Fate, Vol 1: Breakfast at Tyranny’s by Nick Abadzis, Giorgia Sposito, & Valeria Favoccia
16. The Iron Heel by Jack London
17. Blindsight by Peter Watts
18. The Hidden Girl and Other Stories by Ken Liu
19. Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor, Vol 4: Sin Eaters by Cavan Scott, Adriana Melo, and Cris Bolson
20. A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher
I was worried at first-- Walkaway took some time-- but I quickly racked up an impressive month due to a combination of factors: vacation, Hugo novellas, lots of Doctor Who comics. This is my best month since January 2019! We'll see how much momentum I maintain now that the school year is imminent, though.
1. Kindred / Fledgling / Collected Stories by Octavia E. Butler
2. We Are Satellites by Sarah Pinsker
3. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
4. Doctor Who: EarthWorld by Jacqueline Rayner
5. The Marvelous Land of Oz: Being an account of the further adventures of the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman and also the strange experiences of the Highly Magnified Woggle-Bug, Jack Pumpkinhead, the Animated Saw-Horse, and the Gump; the story being A Sequel to The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, pictured by John R. Neill
6. The Terminal Experiment by Robert J. Sawyer
7. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking by T. Kingfisher
8. The Kairos Novels: The Wrinkle in Time Quartet: A Wrinkle in Time / A Wind in the Door / A Swiftly Tilting Planet / Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
9. The Kairos Novels: The Polly O'Keefe Quartet: The Arm of the Starfish / Dragons in the Waters / A House Like a Lotus / An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle
#1-3 and 8-9 were birthday presents. (I am racking up quite the collection of Library of America editions of sf novels.)
All books remaining on "To be read" list: 671 (up 3)