Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

16 February 2022

Doctor Who: The Good Companion by Nick Abadzis and Giorgia Sposito

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor: Facing Fate, Vol. 3: The Good Companion

Collection published: 2018
Contents originally published: 2017-18
Read: October 2021

Writer: Nick Abadzis
Artist:
Giorgia Sposito
Colorists: Adele Matera & Arianna Florean

Letters: Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancourt

This was pretty good! I think when it works, it's when it focuses on the characters of the tenth Doctor, Cindy, and especially Gabby. Slightly too late, but I felt like I finally understood their dynamic here, and the story was all the better for it. I was prepared to declare this great, but in the last couple issues, the stakes got a bit too abstract, and once again, Abadzis anticipates the Chibnall approach by piling on the characters in any given scene, to its detriment. Do I care about this dude's wife who got replaced by a Time Sentinel? No not really. But the ultimate outcome of Gabby's story is pretty great, and you can see how this leaves the tenth Doctor in a good place for his last few screen adventures. Shame this series ended as it finally regained its footing, though I feel like it might have regained its footing because it was ending.

I read an issue of Titan's Doctor Who comic every day (except when I have hard-copy comics to read). Next up in sequence: The Twelfth Doctor: A Confusion of Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment