Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
18 items read/watched / 47 total (38.30%)

06 October 2022

Reading Roundup Wrapup: September 2022

This post is a bit late because there was, well, a hurricane! More on that tomorrow. (EDIT: Well, next week.)

Pick of the month: The Wrinkle in Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle. Not every installment in here was a hit for me, but there was one great book, one very good book, one decent book, and one boring book. Overall, though, a great package that I really enjoyed getting to revisit.

All books read:

  1. The Flood: Collected Comic Strips from the Pages of Doctor Who Magazine by Scott Gray, Martin Geraghty, Mike Collins, John Ross, et al.
  2. Doctor Who: Trading Futures by Lance Parkin
  3. The Giant Horse of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill
  4. Dot and Tot of Merryland by L. Frank Baum, illustrated by Donald Abbott
  5. The Kairos Novels: The Wrinkle in Time Quartet: A Wrinkle in Time / A Wind in the Door / A Swiftly Tilting Planet / Many Waters by Madeleine L’Engle
  6. The Cruel Sea: Collected Comic Strips from the pages of Doctor Who Magazine by Robert Shearman, Mike Collins, Gareth Roberts, Steven Moffat, et al.

Okay, I know it looks bad, but hear me out! I count my reading list on a book basis: if a book contains several novels, it still counts as just one book. (On the other hand, if a novel is published across multiple volumes, it counts as multiple books.) So even though I logged just six books this month, I actually did a lot more reading than that because I've been reading a ton of Library of America compilations. From The Wrinkle in Time Quartet, I finished A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters; from The Polly O'Keefe Quartet, I finished Dragons in the Waters and A House Like a Lotus; and from American Science Fiction: Four Classic Novels 1960-1966, I finished The High Crusade and Way Station.

If you added all that back in, I'd be at a respectable twelve! Maybe I need a new system.

All books acquired:

  1. The Conjure-Man Dies: A Mystery Tale of Dark Harlem by Rudolph Fisher
  2. Jack Pumpkinhead of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill
  3. The Wishing Horse of Oz by Ruth Plumly Thompson, illustrated by John R. Neill
  4. The Collected Short Stories of L. Frank Baum edited by Katharine Rogers
  5. Sissajig and Other Surprises by Ruth Plumly Thompson
  6. Fantastic and Horrific Stories by Arthur Machen

Mostly Oz books for me and my son, including two collections of Oz-adjacent short stories.

All books remaining on "To be read" list: 688 (up 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment