Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
20 items read/watched / 57 total (35.09%)

14 April 2023

Sick

I went to a conference the week before last, which was good, but means that I have been playing catch-up ever since, especially in terms of grading; this time of the semester is kind of unremitting in terms of assignments coming one right after another, which means I need to stay on top of them at all costs. This meant that after taking a red-eye home from California, there was no point I could really catch up on sleep, and so I've been running on fumes all week.

Then on Easter Saturday, my wife got sick—evidently some kind of stomach virus. With me exhausted, my wife sick, and the house a mess, we kind of shambled through Easter. I mean, the kids had a great time of course, but definitely more picturesque Easters have been had, even in this house.

Monday morning I woke up not feeling very good, but I attributed it to staying up yet another late night grading. But then, immediately after piling the kids into the car, I went into the bathroom and realized that I was a bit nauseous. I didn't think I would actually throw up...

...but boy I sure did.

I made it to the couch, called off my morning conferences and afternoon classes, and then staggered into bed. This was probably around 7:30am; I woke up around 2pm, ate some applesauce, and went back to sleep, waking up when the family got home a little earlier than normal around 4pm because the older one had thrown up at daycare. I was up for a couple hours, but by bedtime was back asleep, now on the couch, and then transferred into bed shortly thereafter. Then I slept until 7:30am when my wife left with the younger one for school.

So Tuesday I had to stay home with the older one; I was mostly feeling better by that point, except that my appetite still hadn't returned to normal. But that was about twenty hours of sleep in twenty-four hours. I am ultimately kind of thankful I got sick, I think, because it gave me the flexibility to sleep and finally catch up post-conference... but man I would not have guessed that I was that tired!

Anyway thankfully the semester is almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment