Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
55 / 57 items read/watched (96.49%)
7001 / 7433 pages read (94.19%)
1360 / 1435 minutes watched (94.77%)

04 July 2024

Reading Roundup Wrapup: June 2024

Pick of the month: Rose/House by Arkady Martine. Bit of a tricky one this month, as I read a few strong Hugo finalists, but I ended up going with this, my top choice for Best Novella. More on that soon, I guess! I also really liked The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi and All These Worlds.

All books read:

  1. A Traveller in Time: The Critical Practice of Maureen Kincaid Speller edited by Nina Allan
  2. The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty
  3. Stolen Hours and Other Curiosities: The Collected Science Fiction Stories by Manjula Padmanabhan
  4. Staring: How We Look by Rosemarie Garland-Thomson
  5. Bea Wolf by Zach Weinersmith and Boulet
  6. The Hidden Valley of Oz by Rachel R. Cosgrove, illustrated by Dirk
  7. Thornhedge by T. Kingfisher
  8. Rose/House by Arkady Martine
  9. The Three-Body Problem, #01–14 by Cai Jin, Caojijiuridong, et al.
  10. All These Worlds: Reviews & Essays by Niall Harrison
  11. Collected Poems by Ursula K. Le Guin

All books acquired:

  1. The Wicked Witch of Oz by Rachel Cosgrove Payes, illustrated by Eric Shanower
  2. Toto of Oz by Gina Wickwar, illustrated by Anna-Maria Cool
  3. Animal Fairy Tales by L. Frank Baum
  4. The Wizard of Way-Up and Other Wonders by Ruth Plumly Thompson
  5. Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge
  6. The Truth and Other Stories by Stanisław Lem
  7. Italian Folktales selected and retold by Italo Calvino
  8. The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley illustrated by Anna Grahame Johnstone
  9. The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera

I have been purging books from my collection; I rewarded myself by... using my used bookstore credit to buy more books! I picked up #6-8 at a local used bookstore.

Currently reading:

  • The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera
  • Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • Adventures in Space: An Anthology of Short Stories by Chinese and English-language Science Fiction Writers edited by Patrick Parrinder and Yao Haijun
  • Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with the Daleks by David Whitaker 
  • The Ascent of John Tyndall: Victorian Scientist, Mountaineer, and Public Intellectual by Roland Jackson

I am almost done with my Hugo reading (just 2½ novels to go), so soon I can start catching up on all the other books I mean to be working on. 

Up next in my rotations:

  1. Miracleman, Book One: A Dream of Flying by The Original Writer, Garry Leach, Alan Davis, et al.
  2. The Periodic Table by Primo Levi 
  3. The Dispossessed by Szilárd Borbély
  4. Star Trek: Prey, Book 3: The Hall of Heroes by John Jackson Miller

Books remaining on "To be read" list: 666 (up 2)

So even though I now own fewer books than I did a month ago, the swapping of them out for unread books means my list is longer than it was, despite some very diligent purging!

No comments:

Post a Comment