13 April 2012

Grandmother vs. Scott Pilgrim, round one

Comic digest, n.pag.
Published 2004
Acquired January 2012

Read March 2012
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
by Bryan Lee O'Malley

My favorite thing about this book is that, while I don't particularly like Scott Pilgrim himself, I am pretty sure that the narrative itself doesn't like him, either.  The book is peppered with captions that mock him, such as the panel showing his apartment with the owner of each object labeled-- and they all belong to his (cool gay) roommate.  Or when he finally gets to kiss Ramona Flowers, object of his desire, there's an inset of him rocking out on the guitar and a giant "NICE ONE, SCOTT! NOW TURN THE PAGE."  I don't really care about Scott and Ramona's relationship, but I laughed all the way through anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment