Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
11 items read/watched / 57 (19.30%)

06 June 2018

Hugos 2018 [Prelude]: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Trade paperback, 90 pages
Published 2015

Borrowed from my wife
Read May 2018
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Nnedi Okorafor is one of my wife's favorite writers, so I was glad that the Hugo Awards finally gave me the impetus to sit down with the Binti series (book two of three is a finalist for Best Novella this year). The first book is pretty simple: Binti leaves her people to go to space university. But on her way there, her ship is attacked by evil aliens, and only she is left alive. I liked the premise of the story, and the milieu is well-constructed-- the Himba and Khoush are two distinct human ethnic groups with their own distinct culture and politics, not all subsumed together as "humans" in the future. I love stories of people going to multiplanetary space universities, and Binti ending up on her own among hostile aliens is a great set-up.

But I did find the way the story wound down a bit lacking. Binti does some brave things, which I like, but also two highly convenient things save her, which I liked less. A great premise, but only an okay story. Further adventures in this world could have great promise, though. I've already started the sequel, Home, so I'll see what I think of them soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment