Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
13 items read/watched / 57 total (22.81%)

29 August 2022

Glasshouse by Charles Stross

 Glasshouse by Charles Stross

I found this while looking for science fiction stories about mind uploading and life extension. It's set in a world where people can rebuild their bodies basically at will; the main character is a (seemingly male) military operative forcibly remade into a 1950s American housewife as part of a bizarre social experiment.

Published: 2006
Read: October 2021

It doesn't really explore the ideas about mind-uploading and consciousness transfer in a way that would make it useful in the class I plan to teach on the topic, but I didn't mind as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's a very weird, very solid thriller, about escaping from prison—only the prison is society itself in a sense. Cool ideas, played with in interesting ways. This was my first Charles Stross novel, but I suspect it will not be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment