Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
11 items read/watched / 57 (19.30%)

23 September 2019

Review: The Undefeated by Una McCormack

Trade paperback, 109 pages
Published 2019

Acquired May 2019
Read June 2019
The Undefeated by Una McCormack

This Tor.com novella is by Una McCormack, who I know from her excellent work on Star Trek and Doctor Who tie-in fiction-- so excellent that I've long thought she needs to do more original stuff, so I'm happy to see her in such a high-profile venue as this. An aging journalist returns to her home planet, even as the area of the galaxy it's in has been evacuated in the face of an unstoppable onslaught. The book combines her youth with her return into one narrative. It is, as always, well written. I always like Una's narrative voice, and the book marshals a sense of inevitable tragedy in all its time frames, and its grasp of character and social dynamics is astute. I did find myself wishing the ending had been sharper; I felt like I ought to have learned something that I had not actually learned, and I don't know what.

No comments:

Post a Comment