Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

16 January 2024

Charles Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit, No. IV (Chs. 9-10)

The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

Originally published: 1843-44
Acquired: December 2023
Installment read: January 2024

No. IV (Chs. 9-10)
I was complaining to a friend that Martin Chuzzlewit had appeared precious little 150 pages into the book Martin Chuzzlewit. "Your beloved George Eliot," she said, "waits until two hundred pages of Daniel Deronda to introduce Daniel Deronda." Okay, sure, but the difference here is that I am happy to read about Gwendolen Harleth, but I am much less happy to be reading about Pecksnif. There was a good Dickensian descriptive passage about finding Todger's inn but other than that there's not very much of the Dickens that I enjoy here. More Pecksnif tedium. (I just realized that he's on the cover for some reason. Is he the main character and the title just some kind of feint? God, I hope not.)

This is the second in a series of posts about Martin Chuzzlewit. The next covers installment nos. v-vii. Previous installments are listed below:

  1. Nos. I–III (chs. 1-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment