Hugo Reading Progress

2024 Hugo Awards Progress
12 items read/watched / 57 total (21.05%)

30 January 2024

Charles Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit, No. VIII (Chs. 18-20)

The Life and Adventures of Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

Originally published: 1843-44
Acquired: December 2023
Installment read: January 2024

No. VIII (Chs. 18-20)
I'm not sure sure I believe the "Charles Dickens sent Martin Chuzzlewit to America because sales weren't what he hoped for and he wanted to inject some life into the novel" theory. Because if Charles Dickens knew what he was doing wasn't working, why would he immediately subject us to three whole chapters of SODDING PECKSNIFF!? I mean, I knew we'd have to cut back to England at some point, but A WHOLE INSTALLMENT OF PECKSNIFF is just asking me to drop my subscription, Charles.

This is the fourth in a series of posts about Martin Chuzzlewit. The next covers installment no. ix. Previous installments are listed below:

  1. Nos. I–III (chs. 1-8)
  2. No. IV (chs. 9-10)
  3. Nos. V–VII (chs. 11-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment